Modifications of Custody and Support Orders

A court order entered during your divorce or custody case may need to be changed down the road if circumstances change. A court order may also need to be enforced, if the other parent doesn’t follow the court order.

As time passes, your life will inevitably change, along with the circumstances of your custody and child support arrangements ordered by the judge. In most cases, this means adjustments to child support, custody arrangements and potentially alimony/spousal support.

At Hightower Reff Law, we don’t just guide you through the initial stages of a divorce or custody case, we believe in building strong attorney-client relationship. This means that we will support you if you need to modify your prior court order.

Ensure That You and Your Children Are Treated Fairly

It’s important to keep up with any significant changes to your financial status, no matter if you are paying or receiving child support payments.

If you lose your job or are forced to take a lesser-paying position, you may struggle to meet your child support payments. Failing to modify your child support and falling into delinquency can mean serious consequences, such as garnishment of your wages or benefits, suspension of various licenses, a lien on your property, denial of government benefits or tax refunds and criminal charges.

Some Reasons for Change

Other common reasons you may need to ask the court to make changes to your child support, spousal support/alimony or custody orders include:

  • A parent or a parent and the children want to move out of Nebraska or far away within the state (this is called a removal case).
  • The children get older and wish to live with a different parent.
  • Health or other issues make it difficult to keep up with payments.
  • A child’s needs change (medical, education or extracurricular activities).
  • You or your former spouse loses a job or has a significant increase or decrease in income that would justify changing the amount of child support and/or spousal support/alimony under Nebraska law.

Questions about Modifications?

If your current family law order isn’t working for you or your children anymore, come see us to find out if a modification might be possible. Call us today at 402-932-9550 or visit our contact page to schedule a time to come in and talk to one of our attorneys.

Let's Talk