Guardianship and Conservatorship

We know guardianship law.

Whether it’s custody of a child via a legal guardianship or a guardianship to help you protect a vulnerable adult loved one, Hightower Reff Law can help. Call us to schedule a consultation, gain clarity and learn about your options.

Guardianships in Nebraska have special rules and can be difficult for you to handle on your own. Whether it’s guardianship of a child or an adult, there are ongoing responsibilities, even after the initial paperwork that is required to get the guardianship of the ward finalized. The ward is also known as a protected person.

In a situation where the proposed ward is in immediate danger, you may need a temporary guardianship as well as an ongoing, permanent guardianship.

You need confident, clear, committed legal help like what you’ll find at Hightower Reff Law.

Understanding Guardianship In Nebraska

If the ward is a child involved in a juvenile court case, the guardianship proceeding can be more complicated. That means it’s best to have a lawyer with extensive experience in juvenile court guardianship cases. At Hightower Reff Law, we have many years of experience dealing with juvenile court guardianships.

To put another wrinkle in things, if the ward has funds or income that need to be managed, they will also need to have a conservator appointed. The roles are different.

A guardian is someone appointed by the court to make personal decisions for the ward. A guardian can make decisions on behalf of the ward about matters like where to live, education, medical decisions, etc.

A conservator, on the other hand, is a person appointed to make financial decisions for the ward. The conservator usually can enter into contracts, pay bills, invest money and perform other financial functions for the ward.

Whether you become a guardian, a conservator or both, Nebraska law requires you to complete a court-approved training course.

Questions about Guardianship and Conservatorship?

Call us today at 402-932-9550 or visit our contact page to schedule a time to come in and talk to one of our attorneys.

Let's Talk