Divorce in Nebraska Part II: Ticking Clocks & Temporary Hearings

May 23, 2015

There’s no getting around it: Divorce can be unpleasant and daunting. For most people, the legal process of divorce is especially foreign and scary. Inour (Almost) Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Divorce series, we’ll try to take away some of that fear by answering some of the most frequently asked questions we get from our clients about divorce in Nebraska.

Divorce in Nebraska Part II: Ticking Clocks and Temporary Hearings 

In part one, we answered questions about getting started with a Nebraska divorce. In this installment we cover what to expect after you file for divorce in Nebraska.

Q: What happens after divorce papers are filed?

A: The first step in Nebraska divorce after the Complaint for Dissolution of Marriage (divorce complaint) is called “service of process.” That simply means that your spouse has to be served with your Complaint for Dissolution of Marriage.  

Service of Process is defined by Nebraska law, so it has to be done in a certain way. You can’t just hand the papers to your spouse. The most common methods are through a Voluntary Appearance or service by an authorized process server.  

Filing a Complaint with the Clerk of the District Court starts the clock ticking on service of process. If your spouse isn’t served or does not enter a Voluntary Appearance, the court will dismiss your case. 

Q: What is a Voluntary Appearance?

A: A Voluntary Appearance is a document that the other party can sign (if they choose) that waives their right to have a summons officially and personally served upon them by an authorized process server. 

Signing the Voluntary Appearance does not waive any other rights in the divorce process. The divorce will carry on just as it would if they had been served personally. 

We usually recommend a Voluntary Appearance instead of personal service. It is less frightening to the other party and tends to create less animosity, starting things off on a better foot.

Q: How does service of process on my spouse happen if he/she is unwilling to sign a Voluntary Appearance?

A: Nebraska service of process is usually done through the local sheriff’s department in the county where your spouse lives. It can also be done in some instances by a state authorized constable or civil process server. 

There are alternate ways to achieve service – like publication – but they require court approval.

Q: What happens after your spouse is served with divorce papers?

A: Most often, service is done by the sheriff and he or she files a Return of Service with the clerk’s office; our office gets a copy. We keep our clients informed if a problem with service necessitates an alternate method.

Q: How long does a divorce take in Nebraska? 

A: Each situation is unique. We usually say at least six months, sometimes much longer. It can vary widely depending upon a range of factors like cooperativeness of the other party, success or failure at mediation and the court’s calendar. 

Determining parenting time often contributes most to lengthening the process. With experienced attorneys who are both certified family law mediators and child custody lawyersour office has found parenting plan mediation to be a wonderful tool for helping parties reach agreement on the important issue of parenting time.

Q: How quick can you get a divorce?

A: If you want to know how to get a quick divorce in Nebraska, you need to know our state has a minimum 60day waiting period after the date of filing your Complaint with the Clerk of the Court.  

Even in simple divorces where everything is agreed upon, it’s tough to get all the required work done and papers executed in that amount of time. If a final prove up hearing in court is required, it may take a bit more time depending on the court’s docket availability.  

If a trial is necessary, the process usually takes much longer. 

Q: What happens when one spouse doesn’t want a divorce?

A: Nebraska is a no-fault state. It may take a little longer to go through the process if the opposing spouse refuses to cooperate or agree on anything, but we are experienced in working with reluctant opposing parties and can get your divorce accomplished. 

Q: What if I change my mind? Can you stop divorce proceedings?

A: In Nebraska, the plaintiff (the person who files the divorce action) can dismiss the action at any time for any reason (or for no reason) before final submission of the case. However, if the other party has filed a counterclaim, that claim will not be dismissed unless they agree – so both parties would need to agree for the entire action to be dismissed.  

The court can dismiss the case itself for lack of progression, however, if a divorce is filed and sits for too long without any further action being taken in the case.

Q: What is a temporary hearing for divorce?

A: A temporary hearing (a court appearance before the judge prior to the final hearing or trial  regarding property or spousal support) can be set up as soon as the case is filed. If the other party has not been served, we will have them served with the temporary motion at the same time they are served with the Complaint for Dissolution of Marriage.  

If there are children involved, a temporary custody hearing can be scheduled as soon as the party who asks for the hearing takes the parenting class.

Q: What should I expect at a temporary hearing? 

A: A temporary hearing is used to resolve any issues that need to be addressed right away to provide stability for the parties and their children as the case progresses.  

The judge can enter temporary orders on almost anything that needs to be addressed. Common issues in temporary hearings are temporary legal custody of children, parenting time, child support, debt payments, spousal support, possession of the marital home and health insurance.

Q: Do I have to be there for the temporary hearing?

A: Usually the parties don’t have to appear at the temporary hearing. It’s normally heard in the judge’s chambers. 

Each attorney will present an affidavit to the judge 48 hours before the hearing and argue the points in the affidavit at the hearing. It is important you work with your attorney to get a solid affidavit completed in a timely manner. If you don’t, it will make it more difficult – if not impossible – for your attorney to argue your side at the hearing.

Next time in the series

Read Part III of (Almost) Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Divorce: Divorce ABCs & QDROs. 

In the meantime, if you need help with a divorce, call Hightower Reff Law at 402-932-9550, or contact us online. We are experienced Omaha area attorneys who can help you through this difficult process. 

This article should not be construed as legal advice. Situations are different and it’s impossible to provide legal advice for every situation without knowing the individual facts. 

related content

Separating Assets and Debts in Divorce

Separating Assets and Debts in Divorce

When you are contemplating divorce, one of the largest pieces of the process is figuring out how to separate your assets and debts. This part can be stressful and overwhelming but with the right support and an experienced divorce attorney helping you, it can be easily...

read more
Divorce Mediation 101

Divorce Mediation 101

During a divorce proceeding, if you are not able to reach a settlement with the opposing party on all aspects of your case, the judge assigned to your case will be required to resolve any remaining disputes at trial. While judges in Nebraska often give thoughtful and...

read more